Saturday, February 01, 2003

Why is this? Basically, it’s money. American shows get massive budgets compared to the crap made by the Beeb and ITV, they have a writing team (emphasis being on “team”) rather than just 1 or 2 writers, and they usually get biggish name actors (the best example being Kiefer Sutherland in 24 or Donnie Wahlberg in Boomtown). Think of one of my favourite TV shows, Star Trek. Imagine if the BBC made that. It would just be awful. Dr. Who may be a cult show, but the production values are laughable. I really enjoy all the American imports, don’t get me wrong, I just wish we could produce something with the same style, slickness and all-round verve of our neighbours across the Atlantic.

Insight into Advertising
Because I have no idea what I want to do with my life, I attended a couple of Careers Workshops this week (before being struck by illness). The first was by Norwich Union, one of the UK’s largest companies, and although interesting, the most enticing aspect of their presentation was that if you join their graduate scheme, you get a starting salary of £20,000 a year which is pretty good. (Not that I’m motivated just by money or anything, but, you know, it’s a consideration).

No comments: