Monday, December 16, 2002

Laissez Faire
I’m home for Christmas and I’m really looking forward to it this year. The last few years haven’t been particularly special for me (and 2 years ago I had the worst hangover I’ve ever had on Christmas Day) but this year feels different somehow. Maybe it’s because of my mum but I can just tell that I’m going to enjoy the holidays. The house has already been decorated and looks very festive. As per usual, we have 2 trees up, a real one in our living room and a fake one in our front room.

The Spirit of Christmas
To add to the Christmas spirit, and despite my dwindling finances, I bought “The Best… Christmas Album in the World Ever”. As well as featuring the typical Christmas hits such as ‘Mistletoe and Wine’ and ‘White Christmas’, it also features more recent songs such as Slade and Wizzard’s offerings. However, to my horror, it doesn’t have Wham’s ‘Last Christmas’ in all its glory, just a poxy instrumental version. Worse still, no East 17 with ‘Stay Another Day’, and most insulting of all, it has a Spice Girls rendition of Christmas classic ‘Sleigh Ride’. Now, I can just about live with Chris de Burgh’s ‘A Spaceman Came Travelling’, and I really like Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s ‘The Power of Love’, but to put them on and NOT ‘Last Christmas’ is frankly ludicrous. “The Best Christmas Album in the World Ever”? More like “A Decent Christmas Album But Not The Best Christmas Album Ever By A Long Shot”. Bah humbug.

No comments: